THE  HISTORY OF FORT RILEY Part 7

THE HISTORY OF FORT RILEY 207

Wounded and scarred as he is, his very existence speaks in terms more eloquent than words of the desperate struggle against overwhelming numbers, of the hopeless conflict and the heroic manner in which all went down on that fatal day. The commanding officer of Troop I will see that a special and comfortable stable is fitted up for him, and he will not be ridden by any person whatsoever, under any circumstances, nor will he be put to any kind of work. Hereafter upon all occasions of ceremony (of mounted regimental formation) Comanche, saddled, bridled, draped in mourning and led by a mounted trooper of Troop I will be paraded with the regiment.” •

He was led at such formations for several years by Farrier Korn, who was a member of Troop I at the time of the massacre but was not present on the field. Korn was later killed at Wounded Knee.

Comanche died November 6, 1891, at Fort Riley, of colk His body was buried at Fort Riley with military honors. His skin was mounted by Professor Lewis L. Dyche of Kansas University and is now in the museum of that institution at Law­rence, Kansas.

There were no more post traders after the death of Mose Waters. Mrs. Waters sold out the stock early in 1890 and a canteen was established. The canteen system was popular from the start. Light wines and beer were sold by the glass and strict orders were issued to the effect that no soldier would be allowed to purchase more after he showed the first signs of intoxication. All profits accruing from the canteen were to be utilized in fitting up reading rooms and places of amusement for the soldiers. The canteen was opened in the basement of Waters Hall February I. 1890. Second Lieutenant J. Franklin Bell was the first canteen officer. About the first of March, Sergeant John Buchanan, who had been Commissary Sergeant since 1873, was retired and became Canteen Steward. In April the canteen occupied all of Waters Hall.

Lieutenant Hare was relieved as Mess Officer on account of ill health and in March, Lieutenant Bell was Mess Officer and Lieutenant Mann was in charge of the canteen. Commissary Sergeant James Lehane came from Fort Union, N. M., and relieved Sergeant Buchanan.

Among the social notes of the early part of 1890 were the items that Lieutenant and Mrs. Nicholson and Fenlon had returned from an extended trip in the East and Major and Mrs. Bacon returned from a wedding tour also in the East.

The old Fort Riley depot burned in April and about the

208 THE HISTORY OF FORT RILEY

sametime there was much complaint about the depot then in use. It was very small and uncomfortable.

While excavating for a water pipe, one day in May, some workmen found a grave near a tree a few rods south of the Buchanan House. This was the grave of Susan Fox, previously referred to, who was a victim of the cholera epidemic in 1855.

RESEARCHER’S NOTE: A rod is equal to 16.5 feet. So, if the workmen found the grave “a few rods” south of the Buchanan House, let’s assume “a few” to be about 3 rods for simplicity. That would place the grave approximately 50 feet south of the Buchanan House in today’s measurements.

Some changes in personnel took place during the summer. Companies C and D of the Sixth Infantry left the Post. Troops E and K of the Seventh Cavalry arrived from Fort Sill under Captain Charles Ilsley. Captain Varnum of B Troop arrived. Light Battery E of the First Artillery, Captain Allyn Capron and Light Battery A of the Second Artillery, Captain George S. Grimes, arrived at Riley. Chaplain Parker was transferred to Fort Robinson.

The following item from the Junction City Republic is of interest: “Second Lieutenant S. R. H. Tompkins returned September 17th from Camp Douglas, Wisconsin. Tommy is one of the most popular young officers in the Seventh and everybody was glad to see him return looking so obese and handsome.”

Late in December of 1890 some Sioux Indians at the Pine Ridge agency in South Dakota went on a rampage and Troops A, B, C, D, E, G, I and K of the Seventh Cavalry and Light Battery E of the First Artillery, under Colonel Forsyth, were ordered to the scene. Big Foot’s band had escaped from the agency and planned to join another band in the BadLands for the purpose of waging a general war on the whites. Major Whitside was ordered to move against the Indians and if they resisted to destroy them. The Indians came to camp under cover of a white flag and practically surrendered but did not give up their arms. Colonel Forsyth reinforced Whitside and the Indians were told they must disarm. They at first said they had none, but on searching the village about forty guns were found and when the search of the Indians began, the reds, most of whom had come in blankets, threw off their wrappings and opened fire. A battle followed in which about 140 Indians were killed and about 40 of the Seventh, including Captain George D. Wallace of Troop Kand Sergeant Major Corwine. Lieutenants Mann and Garlington of the Seventh and Lieutenant Hawthorne of the Second Artillery were among the wounded. Lieutenant Mann died a few days later.

Colonel Forsyth was suspended from duty by General Miles and an investigation of his conduct of the fight was ordered. It was charged that his men were so disposed that they shot each other and also killed squaws and papooses. Colonel Forsyth

(Photo loaned by Jack Daly I

Dispensary



COMMISSARY AND STORE HOUSE.

(Photo loaned by Jack Daly)

210 THE HISTORY OF FORT RILEY

was completely exonerated and restored to duty and the command returned to Riley late in January, 1891.

About midway between Estes Gate and North Gate lies the ‘old Waters place, mentioned previously as an early neighbor of the Harveys. That farm is now occupied by a veteran of the Wounded Knee Campaign by the name of Edward Huston, formerly of Troop G Seventh Cavalry and son-in-law of Mr. and Mrs. Caleb Estes previously mentioned. Mr. Huston was discharged and went to live on the Waters place in 1891.

Construction during the year 1890 included: Two sets of field officers’ quarters (Buildings 2 and 19), two double sets of officers’ quarters (Buildings 9 and 10). Cavalry administration building (30), Granary (Building 69, now used as warehouse), a Dead House at the hospital (Building l 10), a coal shed for the heating plant (Building 71) and the bridge over the Kansas River.

A brief description of the arrangement of the new administration Building may be of interest. The office of the commanding officer was on the ground floor in the tower where it is now, with the office of the adjutant and sergeant major in the room just south of his. The library was in the long room between the two wings where the adjutant and personnel offices are now (directly under the present library). On the east side of the hall in the north wing, the quartermaster and his clerks had their offices. In the south wing were private apartments for the janitor, telegraph office and toilets.

On the second floor, directly over the commanding officer’s office, were the offices for the construction quartermaster, architect and clerks. On the east side of the hall were the court martial rooms while the present library was the Post Hall, for theatricals, lectures, etc., with separate dressing rooms and a seating capacity of 450. The circular room on the third floor of the tower was the office of the signal officer.

In February, 1891. Troops B, G, D, E, I. and K of the Seventh Cavalry and Batteries F of the Fourth Artillery and A of the Second Artillery, under Colonel Forsyth, went to St. Louis to take part in the funeral of General Sherman.

1891 was rather an uneventful year, the following brief notes being a summary of events:

April-Ziegler and Dalton resumed work on the riding hall. May-Second Lieutenant T. Q. Donaldson detailed as Mili­tary Professor at Patrick military institute in South Carolina.

Sam Sing received a new batch of Chinamen. Sam Sing operated a laundry on the bank of the Kaw south of the Mess Hall, near where the old pumping plant was located.

THE HISTORY OF FORT RILEY 211

June-Captain Pond was ordered to leave for duty in the office of the Quartermaster General in Washington. He was relieved by Captain J. W. Jacobs.

July-Second Lieutenants Robert J. Fleming, LeRoy S. Lyon and Thomas M. Corcoran joined the Seventh Cavalry.

August-Captain George S. Grimes, Second Artillery, arrived from Chicago and took command of Light Battery A.

Waters Hall was turned over to the government by Mrs.

Thos. Flanagan (widow of Mose Waters).

October-Light Battery E, First Artillery, Captain Capron, left for Fort Sheridan.

The family of Captain Grimes arrived.

The Fort Riley Officers’ Club was organized and moved into the quarters it now occupies. The following officers were elected: President, Col. Forsyth; Vice-President, Captain C. S. Ilsley; Secretary, Lieutenant J. F. Bell; Treasurer, E. B. Fuller. Claude Soyer, formerly of the Union Square Club in New York, was the first steward.

November-Miss Bessie Forsyth, daughter of Colonel Forsyth, was married to Lieutenant-Colonel Dallas Bache of the Medical Department.

Construction during 1891 included: The East Riding Hall, the magazine in Magazine Canyon, a laundry for the hospital (Building 111, changed into a laboratory in 1918 while under jurisdiction of the Camp Funston Surgeon), and a set of quarters for the hospital steward (Building 107).

In January, 1889, Colonel Forsyth reported to the Adjutant General that about. 2,000 acres of the reservation were absorbed by civilians and that he believed the condition was due to mistaking wire fences enclosing hay tracts for boundary lines. He requested an Engineer Officer to make a thorough and detailed instrumental survey in accordance with data on file in the War Department and that the line be fenced and all intruders removed by application of the proper legal remedy.

By Par. 2 of S. 0. 31, A. G. 0. February 6, 1890, First Lieutenant Hiram M. Chittenden, C. of E. was detailed to make the survey, which was finished in March, 1890.

In his report Lieutenant Chittenden, in addition to citing the Lyon and Stack surveys, mentioned one by Lieutenant

J. R. Gardner, Ninth Cavalry, in April, 1883, and one by Lieutenant Eben Swift, Fifth Cavalry, but there is no record or map of either of these surveys on file at the Post. (Author’s note: The Junction City Union of December 12, 1885, contained the following item: “Lieutenant Steele of the Eighteenth Infantry, is now engaged in making a topographical survey of the Fort Riley Reservation.” No record of this survey can be found). Chittenden also reported that he found in all

212 THE HISTORY OF FORT RILEY

twenty-six monuments, all in the correct position except one; that he found encroachment to the extent of about seventy-two acres; that he had set stakes to mark places for thirty-one additional monuments and recommended a simpler description of the “Metes and Bounds” than that of the 1855 survey. The report was accepted and approved.

The thirty-one additional monuments were cut at the Leavenworth Military Prison and were placed in position by a fatigue detail later in the spring of 1890 and shortly afterwards a wire fence was erected along the entire line marked by the monuments.

G. 0. 37, A.G. 0. April 3, 1891. granted a right of way to the Junction City and Fort Riley Street Railway Company.

The years 1885-1891 inclusive, marked the greatest period of construction and improvement the post had ever known, but the Cavalry School was still a mere infant, physically and mentally, and as we shall see, construction had by no means ceased. The period of wild rumors and talk of millions of dollars was over and the resultant restoration to normalcy was beneficial.

CHAPTER XI

THE CAVALRY AND LIGHT ARTILLERY SCHOOL

February 19, 1892, the Junction City Republican had the following item of interest: “Lieutenant Sedgwick (Squid) Rice is now in command of Troop E of the Seventh Cavalry. Lieutenant Rice was transferred from the Twenty-Second Infantry and joined the Seventh Cavalry June 10, 1886. Since that time, he has served constantly with his regiment and received favorable mention in general orders for meritorious conduct and gallantry in the battle at Wounded Knee.”

In March, Captain Jacobs, who had relieved Captain Pond, opened bids for the construction of a quartermaster and commissary storehouse and an iron flag staff. George C. Moses got the contract for the building and Wm. Lawrence the flagpole.

The Cavalry and Light Artillery School was definitely established by the following order:

“General Orders No. 17

Adjutant General’s Office, Washington, March 14, 1892.

“By direction of the Secretary of War, in pursuance of the act of Congress approved January 29, 1887, a school of instruction for drill and practice for cavalry and light artillery will be established at Fort Riley, Kansas.

“1. It shall consist of one regiment of cavalry (as nearly as practicable) , such batteries of light artillery, not exceeding five, as may be found practicable, and such other officers and enlisted men as may be assigned to duty at the school for instruction. The troops of each arm shall constitute a sub-school of practice. The director of the sub-school for cavalry shall be the senior officer of cavalry present next to the commandant of the school; the director of the sub-school for light artillery shall be the senior officer of artillery present.

“2. The commandant of the school shall be the colonel of the cavalry regiment, and in his absence the senior officer of cavalry or artillery present.

“3. The school staff shall consist of the commanding officer and all of the field officers of cavalry and artillery present, and the adjutant of the cavalry regiment shall be secretary of the school.

213

214 THE HISTORY OF FORT RILEY

“4. The school shall at all times be governed by the rules of discipline prescribed for all military posts and by the regulations of the school.

“5. The organization of the cavalry command will, as far as practicable, be complete within itself for all purposes of administration and instruction. In like manner the organization of the artillery command will be complete within itself for like purposes.

“6. The principal object of this school is instruction in the combined operations of cavalry and light artillery and this object should be kept steadily in view.

“7. One-half of each instruction year shall be devoted by each sub-school to instruction in the special duties of its own arm with the addition of signaling with the flag, torch, and heliograph. and, if practicable, military telegraphy.

“8. The second half of each school year shall be devoted to the field work and exercises of the two arms, cavalry and artillery. combined.

“9. Preparatory to the work of instruction in each year, the school staff herein provided for shall prepare a full scheme for the course of instruction to be followed that year for the sub­ school and for the school of both arms combined.

“I 0. At the close of the instruction year, the director of each sub-school shall submit to the Commandant of the Cavalry and Light Artillery School an annual report of the progress and wants of his sub-school and the Commandant shall, in like manner, submit a like report to the Commanding General of the Army.

“11. The Cavalry and Light Artillery School shall be under the immediate orders of the Commanding General of the Army, but shall be subject to inspection by the Department Commander, and in emergencies the troops belonging to the school shall also be subject to his orders.

BY COMMAND OF MAJOR GENERAL SCHOFIELD

J. C. KELTON,

Adjutant General.”

The school year began January I 0th and ended December 20th.

Colonel Williston was relieved from duty at Riley and made

Inspector of Artillery for the Department, early in April. Major Wallace F. Randolph of the Third Artillery was designated to succeed Colonel Williston. Randolph enlisted as a private in Company F. Seventeenth Pennsylvania Infantry.

April 18, 1861. He was commissioned a Second Lieutenant, Fifth Artillery, June 29. 1861 ; First Lieutenant, March I.

THE HISTORY OF FORT RILEY 215

1862; Captain, July 28, 1866, and Major, April 25, 1888. Randolph Hill and Randolph Hall are named for him.

The Republican of June 24th reported that: “Dan Tompkins, a brother of Tommie and Frank, of the Seventh, had arrived from New York.” During the summer, Ordnance Sergeant Pat Daly was retired, Captain DeRudio and Lieµ­ tenant Simmons of H Troop were transferred from Fort Sill to Fort Riley and B and K Troops were ordered to Fort Sheri­ dan.

In Colonel Forsyth’s report for I 892, he pointed out the impracticability of having an entire regiment of troops undergoing instruction at the School at one time. He believed that the primary object in the establishment of the school was not so much to directly benefit one regiment at a time, as to perform the greatest service for the largest number of regiments. He believed the primary object should be to secure the successful and permanent establishment of a school where facilities might be furnished for keeping pace with military advancement of the time.

His scheme of organization proposed that the school consist of twelve troops, not more than two of which should be from the same regiment and that the Commandant should be a colonel of cavalry carefully selected and the secretary specially detailed from the cavalry. He also asked for an appropriation such as the schools at Monroe and Leavenworth had.

Lieutenant Maurice G. Krayenbuhl of the Second Artillery, with his bride, reached the Post in December and a few days later Captain Sidney W. Taylor of the Fourth Artillery came to take command of Battery F, vice George B. Rodney was promoted. Captain Jackson and Lieutenant Corcoran with Troop C. Captain Edgerly and Lieutenant Fenton with Troop G, and Lieutenant Slocum with Troop D, were ordered to Texas. The quartermaster and commissary storehouse (Building 70) and the iron flag pole were the only definite improvements to the Post this year. Building 70 is now the quartermaster

building.

Several well known officers of the present day were boys at the Post at this time, among whom were Warren Wbitside, Dennison Forsyth, W. C. F. Nicholson (resigned after the World War). Wm. M. (Benny) Grimes belonged to the “small boys” gang.

One day early in January, 1893, Warren Whitside and some other boys went hunting. Thinking they might run across a rabbit or two, they took along some fox hounds belonging to Dennison Forsyth. In one of the ravines near the Post, the dogs chased a wild cat into the limbs of a scrub oak tree. One of the dogs made a running jump and landed on the cat’s

(Photo loaned by Mrs. Burns, Fort Riley)

Dedication of Wounded Knee Monument, July 25, 1893

(Photo by Harlan, Fort Riley)

Wounded Knee Monument in 1926

THE HISTORY OF FORT RILEY 217

back, pulling it to the ground where it was killed. The cat measured four feet and eleven inches in length.

The ravine, extending south from the central heating plant, was known as “Mummet’s Ravine” and was the favorite playground for the children.of that time. There was a cable car on which they used to ride, as well as various other devices for the amusement of the youngsters. It was called Mummet’s Ravine because the engineer at the heating plant was named Mummet and his children used to play there.

January 9, 1893, the Cavalry and Light Artillery School was formally opened with a lecture on hippology by Dr. Daniel LeMay, Veterinary Surgeon, Seventh Cavalry.

In the early months of 1893 the following brief items are of interest: March-Honorable Thos. P. Fenlon of Leavenworth was visiting his brother-in-law, Lieutenant W. J. Nicholson. April-Hugh Bolin resigned as postmaster. He had been at the Post since 1879, when he came to work for Mose Waters. June-C. E. F. and G Troops of the Third Cavalry, under Major Louis T. Morris, took station at Fort Riley. Victor Montgomery, now of the Montgomery Apartments in Junction City. was a steward at the officers’ club. Beginning about this time and continuing for some years, a bachelor officers’ mess was maintained in Quarters 24 on Sheridan Avenue.

After Hugh Bolin resigned as postmaster Miss Lehane, daughter of Commissary Sergeant Lehane, and Miss Crowther

took charge of the post office. They had it for a short time and were followed by Al York who was postmaster until 1903. Mrs. McBlain, widow of Lieutenant J. F. McBlain of the Fourth Cavalry, then became postmistress and continued as such until about 1917, when the Fort Riley post office be­came a subdivision· of the Junction City office. Mrs. McBlain lived in Arnold Hall for many years.

During one of the tactical exercises, then constituting a large part of the instruction at the school. It is said that Major Morris with his squadron was successful in holding the hill now known as Morris Hill against the opposing forces. The hill was afterwards referred to as Morris Hill and the name has persisted.

Shortly after the return of the Seventh Cavalry from Pine Ridge the soldiers started a subscription to raise money for a monument to the memory of their comrades killed at Wounded Knee. About $1,950 was raised by the officers and men of the Seventh and of the Hospital Corps. On July 25, in 1893 the monument was dedicated. The day was a gala event with between 5,000 and 6,000 visitors from various parts of Kansas. Excursion trains were run from far and near. There were exhibition drills by cavalry and artillery. concerts, speeches and finally, a sham battle.

0

218 THE HISTORY OF FORT RILEY

The dedication speech was made by the Honorable J. R. Burton. The monument was placed just west of the small grass plot in Sheridan Avenue, near the west end of Arnold Hall, where it remained until 1925 when it was removed to its present location, under the direction of Colonel W. W. Whitside, Quartermaster, and Brigadier-General E. L. King, Commandant.

The first Fort Riley paper made its appearance in October, 1893, under the name of the Fort Riley Budget.

On October 25th, Lieutenant Robert J. Fleming and Miss Augusta McArthur Grimes, daughter of Captain George S. Grimes of the Second Artillery, were married in the old chapel. After the ceremony and reception they left for Chicago and the World’s Fair. Lieutenant Fleming was then stationed at Fort Sheridan.

In November a son was born to Lieutenant and Mrs. Frank Tompkins.

The organization of the School was as follows: Commandant, Col. Forsyth; Regimental Adjutant (7th Cav.) and Secretary of the School. 1st Lieut. J. F. Bell; Post Treasurer, in charge of Mess and Post Exchange, 1st Lieut. Albert J. Russell, Troop M, 7th Cav.; Regimental Q. M. Post A. C. S., and A. 0. 0., and in charge of Post Garden, 1st Lieut. W. J. Nicholson, 7th Cav.; Post Adjutant and in charge of School of Instruction for Recruits, 2d Lieut. George W. Cole, Troop A, 7th Cav. The staff also included Major H. S. Turrill, Sur­ geon, with Lieutenants P. F. Straub and J. M. Kennedy as assistants, Capt. S. R. Jones, Quartermaster, Chaplain D. R Lowell and Lieut. J. E. Maxfield S. C., Signal Officer and in charge of the Signal Corps School of Instruction.

The School was divided into two Sub-Schools. Lieutenant­ Colonel Louis H. Carpenter was Director of the Cavalry Sub­ School and Lieutenant Bell was Adjutant. Among the students were Captain Godfrey, First Lieutenants Joseph T. Dickman, Tyree Rivers, John W. Heard, Sedgwick Rice, W. A. Hol­ brook (on D. S. at U. S. M. A.) and Second Lieutenant Lin- . coin C. Andrews.

Major Wallace F. Randolph was Director of the Light Artillery Sub-School and First Lieutenant Eli D. Hoyle was Adjutant. Among the students were Captains C. A. Woodruff, Geo. S. Grimes and S. W. Taylor and First Lieutenants E. H. Catlin and Ernest Hinds.

The following organizations were stationed at the Post: Headquarters, Band, and Troops A, E, H, and I. Seventh Cavalry; Troops C. E, F. and G, Third Cavalry; Light Batteries A and F, Second Artillery; Light Battery F, Fourth Artillery;

THE HISTORY OF FORT RILEY 219

Company of Instruction Hospital Corps and School of Instruction Signal Corps.

Individuals were not detailed to take the course. Instead, units were designated for that purpose and the entire personnel of such units partook of the instruction, Great interference with the instruction resulted from detached service of both officers and men. The Third Cavalry troops arrived in the middle of the year. The Commandant again recommended that one troop from each of twelve regiments be detailed to take the course.

Most of the instruction was of a practical nature. Lectures were given in the Cavalry Sub-School. in the Post Hall, now the Library and in the Artillery Sub-School in the Auditorium of the Artillery Administration Building.

Carpenter Hill was named for Colonel Carpenter, Director of the Cavalry Sub-School. . At the time of Colonel George A. For­syth’s fight on the Arickaree Fork of the Republican River in 1868, Colonel Carpenter was a Captain commanding Troop H of the Tenth Cavalry. With his troop and some scouts, Carpenter was first to reach Forsyth’s force.

Construction in 1893 included only one building, a double set of officers’ quarters (Building 95).

From an examination of newspapers of this time it evidently was a common thing for enlisted men to be granted furloughs for the purpose of taking a course of treatment at the Keeley Institute.

Ex-Governor James M. Harvey died April 16, 1894.

The Republican of June 8th published a long series of letters between Colonel Forsvth and various citizens in regard to the grazing of cattle on the reservation and particularly the town herd. The discussion culminated in the arrest of Mr. B. Rodgers by the military authorities for grazing a herd on the reservation without a permit.

Early in July Lieutenant F. M. Caldwell of the Third Cavalry arrived at the Post with his bride. In the same month four troops of cavalry and three batteries of artillery were ordered to Chicago to aid in suppressing riots resulting from the labor strike of that year. A short time after their arrival while Captain Dodd with Troop F, Third Cavalry, Lieutenant Tate with Troop F, Sixth Cavalry, Lieutenant Gale and a platoon of Battery F, Second Artillery, and Captain Varnum with Troop B, Seventh Cavalry, were marching through the streets to exercise their horses, a caisson of Battery F exploded, killing three soldiers and wounding twelve others. The Troops returned to Fort Riley in September.

July 20th the following item appeared in the Republican: “Vic Montgomery, the handsome steward at the officers’ club,

220 THE HISTORY OF FORT RILEY

was 32 years old last Thursday.and of course he and his friends celebrated the occasion in a very becoming manner.” .

In October Captain George R. Faringhy and Company E,

K. N. G., of Junction City, was in camp at Concordia with the Kansas National Guard.

Colonel Forsyth was appointed Brigadier-General November 9th and assigned to command the Department of California. He left Fort Riley on the 19th and was succeeded by Colonel

E. V. (Bull) Sumner, Seventh Cavalry, late in November. Edwin Vose Sumner was appointed a Second Lieutenant in the First Cavalry August 5, 1861. He was made a brigadier-general of volunteers May 27, 1898, a brigadier-general U. S. A. March 27, 1899, and retired March 30, 1899. He was a son of Colonel E. V. Sumner of the First Dragoons, who dispersed the Free-State Legislature at Topeka in 1855, and the father of Nancy S. King, wife of Brigadier-General E. L. King. Sumner Hill, and later Sumner Hall, were named for him.

In his annual report General Forsyth stressed again the lack of sufficient officers for efficient instruction and the apparently unnecessary amount of detached service of officers and organizations and recommended that one troop be detailed from each of twelve regiments and that those troops be maintained at war strength while at the school. It was also recommended that officers assigned to the cavalry be permitted to perform their first year of service at the school. The following paragraph of his report is of interest:

“As the matter of expense has seemed to be a first consideration in the changing of troops on duty at the School. I would respectfully submit a further modification of previous recommendations with a view to decreasing said expense. Instead of changing troops every three years let each tour of duty be the regulation for four years. It would then be necessary to change two troops each year as long as only eight are in the School and three per year when it consists of twelve. In order to give as many officers the benefit of the course as possible, however, it is thought the subaltern officers should be changed every two years if this recommendation is adopted. Two years is sufficient for an officer to obtain whatever benefit is derivable from the course of instruction.”

During the year Captain Jones was relieved by Captain Miller as Quartermaster, Chaplain Lowell was relieved by Chap­ lain T. W. Barry. Lieutenants Straub and Kennedy, Assistant Surgeons, were replaced by Captain Poindexter, Lieutenants Quinton and Raymond. Lieutenant Maxfield of the Signal Corps was relieved by Lieutenant Reber.

A board for the revision of Cavalry Drill Regulations consisting of Lieutenant-Colonel Carpenter, Captains Godfrey and

THE HISTORY OF FORT’ RILEY 221

Garlington and Lieutenant T. R. Rivers met at Fort Riley in May, 1894, and remained in session for nearly a year.

The squadron of the Third Cavalry was relieved in the fall of 1894 by Troops A, C. D and F of the Second Cavalry with the following officers: Maj. W. A. Rafferty; Capts. C. Augur,

H.J. McClernand; Lieuts. T. J. Lewis, R. E. L. Michie, E. M. Suplee, E. M. Leary and 0. B. Myer. In addition Major T. A. Baldwin and Captain H. J. Nowlan, both of the Seventh Cavalry, were ordered to duty at the school.

There were no changes of units in the Artillery Sub-School. Captain Woodruff and Lieutenants Everett, Gayle and Krayen­ buhl were relieved by Captain Vose and Lieutenants Zalinski. Hearn and Schumm. Captains Taylor and Grimes were listed as Instructors in the Lyceum Course and Veterinary Surgeon LeMay gave a series of lectures on hippology.

As Colonel Forsyth was the first commandant of the modern school it was fitting and proper that his memory should be perpetuated by naming Forsyth Avenue and Forsyth Drive for him.

Construction in 1894 was confined to the erection of two double sets of officers’ quarters in the Cavalry Post (Buildings 13 and 14).

The following item in the Junction City Republican of May 17, 1895, is of local interest: “Thomas. Kennedy and his Sunday school class went fishing Tuesday and lessened the crop of crawfish, wood-ticks and mud-turtles.”

Colonel A. K. Arnold, First Cavalry. became Commandant in May, when four troops of the First Cavalry came to Fort Riley from Fort Grant, Arizona. The Seventh Cavalry went to Fort Grant. Abraham Kerns Arnold graduated from the U. S. M. A., July 1. 1854, and served with distinction through the Civil War. He was awarded the Medal of Honor for conspicuous gallantry in a charge on the enemy in action at the Davenport Bridge on the North Anna River May 18, 1864, while serving as a Captain of the Fifth Cavalry and while he was commanding that regiment. May 4, 1898, he was appointed a brigadier-general of volunteers, was retired March 25, 1901, and died November 23, 1901. Arnold Divide and Arnold Hall have been named in his honor.

Lieutenant-General Schofield, Commanding the Army, visited Fort Riley early in June. His party consisted of General and Mrs. Schofield, Miss Kilborne (Mrs. Schofield’s sister) , Colonel Langer and Captain Pitcher. The party was met at the depot by the Post Commander and his Staff and escorted by a squadron of cavalry to a stand erected at the head of Forsyth Place where a review was held. The light artillery battalion was formed at the foot of the hill below the guard house.

222 THE HISTORY OF FORT RILEY

Colonel and Mrs. Carpenter gave a luncheon and reception, Captain McClernand’s troop gave an exhibition drill in the riding hall at 4: 00 p. m. and at 7: 00 p. m. the visitors were entertained at dinner by Major Randolph, following which there was a hop. Wednesday morning the General left for Fort Leavenworth.

Captain George R. Faringhy of the local company of the Kansas National Guard was promoted to Major on the 31st of July, upon which N. H. Nicholson became Captain; Fred Schultz, First Lieutenant; E. A. Faringhy, Second Lieutenant, and E. D. Zellner, First Sergeant.

Logan Grove was dedicated September 24th with Captain Grimes’ battery firing the salute. The grove was named for General John A. Logan.

The Fort Riley Guidon made its appearance in November.

It was a weekly, edited and published at Fort Riley by Messrs. Lowenthal and Mozen. It was published on a commercial basis, the rates being ten cents for one month, or three months for a quarter. The Guidon had a long and useful career.

There was no construction during the year 1895 _.

The old chapel was thoroughly renovated inside and out and was reopened in August, 1896.

August 18, 1896, a barbecue was held at Logan Grove in honor of Senator Baker and Congressmen Blue and Calder­ head and in appreciation of their services in procuring a

$75,000 appropriation for Fort Riley. In September the Quartermaster was advertising for bids for the construction of new buildings.

August 12th, Troops C and G of the First Cavalry with Major C. D. Viele, Captains 0. L. Hein and R. P. P. Wainwright and Lieutenants W. M. Whitman and R. C. Williams left for Fort Sheridan. On the same date Troops G and H of the Second Cavalry with Captains F. U. Robinson, F. W. Sibley, and Lieutenants H. G. Trout and D. L. Brainard arrived at the Post from Fort Wingate, N. M.

From the 19th to the 24th of October a school of instruction for officers of the Kansas National Guard was held at Fort Riley. During the same month General Miles visited the Post. The following changes in personnel took place during the

year in addition to those already noted. Captain Miller, Quartermaster, was relieved by Captain G. Ruhlen and Assistant Surgeons Raymond and Quinton were relieved by Captain

A. B. Heyl. In the Cavalry Sub-School Lieutenant G. W. Goode, First Cavalry, was relieved and Lieutenant C. C. Smith, Second Cavalry, joined. In the Artillery Sub-School Lieu­ tenants E. D. Hoyle, L. H. Walker, G. F. Landers, Leroy S. Lyon and T. N. Horn was relieved and Lieutenants M. M.

THE HISTORY OF FORT RILEY 223

Macomb, S. D. Sturgis, D. E. Aultman and C. G. Treat joined. In his annual report Colonel Arnold recommended the establishment of an electric light plant and an ice plant. He also recommended the completion of the Post as originally planned

for twelve troops of cavalry and five batteries of artillery.

Major H. S. Turrill was in charge of the Company of Instruction of the Hospital Corps from which two classes of enlisted men were graduated during the year.

Lieutenant Frederick S. Foltz was in charge of the School of Instruction for Cavalry Recruits and one of his most valued assistants was the present color-sergeant of the Second Cavalry, Sergeant Roddy. Roddy came to Riley in Captain McClern­ and’s troop of the Second in 1894.

Considerable building was being done by the end of the year 1896, but nothing had been completed.

In 1897 First Lieutenant M. M. Macomb, Fourth Artillery, began a complete topographical survey of the reservation under orders from Washington. •He first obtained data from,_ the records of the Coast and Geodetic Survey by means of which he located two of the monuments of that survey and established an element of triangulation. His survey was very accurate and has been accepted as authoritative. In appreciation of his painstaking and careful work Macomb Hill has been named.

There were no changes of importance in the courses of ad­

ministration of the school during 1897. In March “Doc” Kiernan came to the Post. He was Chief Farrier of the Army and was later in charge of the Farriers’ School. Lieutenant­ Colonel Carpenter was promoted late in June and was relieved during the summer by Lieutenant-Colonel A. R. Chaffee. Al York was postmaster and in July, George Faringhy was appointed his assistant. Lieutenant Geo. L. Byram, who had been on the staff of the Governor of Colorado for two years, rejoined the First Cavalry during the summer. Brigadier-General John Brook, Inspector-General. visited the post in Novem­ ber. Captain Ruhlen, Quartermaster, was ordered to Fort Wrangell. Alaska, in December and was relieved by Captain John Baxter from JeHersonville, Indiana.

The cornerstone of the new chapel was laid on July 4th by Chaplain Barry.

The Canteen had now become the Post Exchange and was still located in Waters Hall. Sergeant Buchanan was the steward, Captain A. B. Heyl of the Medical Department was in charge. H. 0. Otnes was clerk and Levi Marchesseault was his assistant.

The following item is from a Republican of September, 1897: “The other night about midnight, boots and saddles

(Photo loaned by Jack Daly)

Corral

(Photo loaned by Jack Daly)

Interior of Quartermaster Corral

THE HISTORY OF FORT RILEY 225

was sounded and the eight troops of cavalry were started out in heavy marching order to solve a problem in minor tactics.” In October the first Golf Club was organized with 22 members and the following officers: President, Capt. H. J. Reilly; Captain, Lieut. Burgess; Secretary and Treasurer, Lieut. W. J.

Glasgow.

1897 was another year of construction with the following buildings completed, or nearly so, in December: 5 buildings for stable guards (45, 59, 61, 63 and 65); new chapel; quarter­ master stable (129. Now motor transport repair and garage building); 2 ambulance sheds ( 130 and 132); wagon master’s office ( 131) ; teamsters mess and shops (13 3. Now shops) ; wagon shed ( 134) ; 1 artillery barracks ( 91) ; 2 doul;>le sets officers’ quarters ( 105 and 106).

The new chapel was dedicated Sunday, January 30, 1898. Chaplain Barry delivered the sermon. Company E of the Kansas National Guard, long known as the Henderson Rifles, was mustered out in January.

February 25, 1898, the battleship Maine was blown up in Havana harbor. During March the three light batteries at Riley were ordered away. Battery B, Fourth Artillery, Captain Anderson, went to Jackson Barracks; Battery F, Fifth Artillery, Captain Reilly, to Fort Oglethorpe, and Battery F, Fourth Artillery, Captain Taylor, to Fortress Monroe.

In the same month a board of officers consisting of Major Randolph, 3d Art.; Maj. J. L. Powell, Surgeon; Capt. H. J. Reilly, 5th Art.; Capt. A. B. Heyl, Ass’t. Surgeon; Capt. Loyd

M. Brett, 2d Cav., and 1st Lieut. Adelbert Kronkhite, 4th Art., was appointed to examine officers for promotion.

Major Randolph was ordered to the Presidio of San Francisco early in April and on the 19th, Headquarters, Band and Troops F and K, First Cavalry and Troops A, C. D, F, G and H, Second Cavalry, left by rail for Chickamauga Park, Georgia. A detachment of seventeen men was left behind to care for the Post. Captain M. M. Macomb and Sergeant Thornhill were the only members of the artillery left. H. 0. Otnes, now chief clerk in the quartermaster’s office, was in charge of the lawns. All civilian employees were made guards and were authorized to make arrests.

War was declared with Spain April 25, 1898. Most of the officers’ wives and families anticipated a long war and left the Post. Captain Baxter, Quartermaster, left for Chicamauga in May and his departure left Chaplain Barry in Command, the Chaplain and a contract surgeon by the name of Powell being the only persons of authority remaining. The Chaplain’s period of command was brief, for in a few weeks Second

226 THE HISTORY OF FORT RILEY

Lieutenant J. E. Cusack, Fifth Cavalry, assumed command of the Post.

In the fall Troops A, B, I and L of the First Cavalry returned. Brigadier-General C. D. Viele was in command of the Post; 1st Lieut. Peter E. Traub, Adjutant; Lieut. Cusack, Quartermaster; Capt. Ten Eyck, Ass’t. Surgeon; Barry, Chap­ lain; Lieut. Wright, Troop A; Capt. Galbraith, Troop B; Lieut. Traub, Troop I and Capt. Edwards, Troop L.

Late in October Captain Edwards was appointed Post Exchange Officer, vice Chaplain Barry relieved, and Lieutenant Cusack was ordered back to the Fifth Cavalry.

A battalion of the Twelfth Infantry arrived at Riley in November. It was composed of Co. E, Capt. R. K. Evans and 2d Lieut. V. L. Wills; Co. G, 1st Lieut. E. Taylor; Co. I. Capt. W. W. Wotherspoon and 2d Lieut. H. A. Drum; Co.

K. Capt. D. F. Anglum and 2d Lieut. D. T. Merrill.

The report of the Commandant for 1898 was rendered by Lieutenant Cusack with Chaplain Thos. W. W. Barry as Secretary.

There was very little school work immediately following the Spanish-American War as frequent changes of organizations and personnel made it impossible. From April 19, 1899, to September 11, 190 I, all work was practically suspended.

Headquarters and Troops A, B and L of the First Cavalry were transferred to Fort Robinson and Troop I of the same regiment to Fort Meade in January, 1899. January 26th, Troops A, E. G and H of the Sixth Cavalry came to Riley with Major Thos. C. Lebo; l st Lieut. and Adjutant, F. C. Marshall; 2d Lieut. W. C. Short commanding Tr. A; 2d Lieut. A. C. Nissen commanding Tr. E; 2d Lieut. E. L. Hei­ berg commanding Tr. H; and Capt. West commanding Tr. G. Lieutenant Cronkhite with Battery B, Fourth Artillery, and Second Lieutenant Edward O’Hearn with Battery F, Third

Artillery also joined the Post in January.

For a short time during January, Lieutenant-Colonel Henry Carroll of the Sixth Cavalry was Commandant, but on the 27th Lieutenant-Colonel George B. Rodney took command.

In February, the four companies of the Twelfth Infantry left for the Philippines.

About this time “Si” Rogers, who loved horses then as much as he does now, had charge of a stable in the Artillery Post in which private driving horses were kept. It was in the days of the bicycle and “Si” had a Columbia with a small wheel in front and the handlebars in rear of the rider. It was like any other wheel except that it was steered from the rear. One day Walter C. Short tried it out for fun and was policed three times straight. This aroused his interest and he told “Si”

THE HISTORY OF FORT RILEY 227

if he could have the thing for an afternoon he could win the drinks off the bunch at the Club. “Si” assented and Short took the wheel.

While the bicycle was standing around a lieutenant had taken

it out and conquered it. When the time came for Lieutenant Short to offer to bet anyone present that he couldn’t ride the machine in three tries, this youngster got on and rode off. He won the bet and Short made a mental vow that he would get even.

On the evening of February 16th, Lieutenants Wills, Drum, Merrill, and Davis of the Twelfth Infantry, Gardner of the Third Artillery, Heiner, Nissen, and Heiberg of the Sixth Cavalry, had made up a theatre party and were on their way to the Opera House in Junction City in a wagonette driven by “Ham” Rogers, a brother to “Si”. Lieutenant Short and Lieu­ tenant F. C. Marshall learned of this party and decided it afforded a good opportunity to even Short’s score and also to give the youngsters a scare, inasmuch as some of them had been boasting about what they would do if they were ever held up. The wagonette was hauled by mules and it was decided that Marshall should lie down in the road as the team approached. Then, when he was perceived, the driver would stop and afford an opportunity for the highwaymen to “do their stuff.” At this point in their plotting, Short called up “Si” and inquired if he wanted to get in on a lark and, if so, to gather up a lot of old civilian clothes and come out to the Post.

About 200 yards east of the bridge at a dark spot in the road, they laid their ambush. Marshall was lying across the road, Short on one side behind a tree and “Si” on the other. All wore masks and had unloaded guns. As soon as the team was stopped, Marshall jumped to his feet and the three made the passengers give up all their money and valuables, took the wagonette and drove away. Wills lost $130, Drum $250, Davis $215 and a watch, Gardner $7 and a love letter. The others had nothing of value with them.

The victims returned to the Club to drown their sorrows and forget their losses. About half an hour later Lieutenants Short and Marshall strolled in and were told the details and of course gave their advice as to the best methods of capturing the robbers. Finally, it was decided to notify the commanding officer and have the troops turned out. Lieutenant Marshall then announced that he, Short and “Si” were the robbers and that nothing but champagne and lots of it would satisfy them. Lieutenant Gardner, who had lost only seven dollars, at first refused, but when the ardent letter was produced, he capitulated and the party was on. Victor Montgomery was steward at the time and when the writer asked him if he remembered

228 THE HISTORY OF FORT RILEY

that night he threw up his hands and said “My Gott! Yes. There was two buckets of broken glass on the floor the next morning.” It is said that the story “Ransom’s Folly,” by Richard Harding Davis, was based upon this incident.

In March, Captain Ten Eyck left for Fort Robinson, Ne­braska. George Faringhy was then a clerk in the post exchange. Lieutenant Malin Craig, son of Captain Craig, arrived in April and in May Lieutenant E. R. Heiberg and his bride arrived.

Chaplain Thos. W.W. Barry, who had been at the Post for five years, was ordered to join the Seventh Cavalry in Cuba about the middle of June. He had been a very popular and efficient chaplain. Barry Avenue is named in his honor. A tablet has since been placed on the north wall of the new chapel with the following inscription:

IN MEMORIAM

THOMAS WILLIAM BARRY, D. D., CHAPLAIN UNITED STATES ARMY.

1852-1904.

Troops E and H of the Sixth Cavalry left the Post July 2d and Troop G on the 28th of August. This left the Cavalry Post with insufficient men and assistance was rendered by the artillery in the performance of guard duty. The following officers left with those troops: Major Lebo, Captains L. A. Craig, B. H. Cheever, M. F. Steele, Frank West, and H. P. Kingsbury; Lieutenants J. P. Ryan, Stuart Heintzelman, J. F. McKinley.

Ten companies of the Fortieth Infantry, under Colonel Godwin, were organized at Riley during the fall and in November, Company L of the Twentieth Kansas returned from the Philippines to Junction City.

January 26, 1900, Troops A, B, C. and D of the Eighth Cavalry arrived with Major William Stanton, Captain C. M. O’Connor and Lieutenants C. W. Farber, H. B. Dixon, A. G. Lott, and George Williams. Captain Farrand Sayre joined in February. This squadron had only one-fourth its enlisted strength and no horses when it arrived.

In March, the Secretary of War granted permission to the First Cavalry to erect a memorial tablet in the new chapel in memory of the officers and men who fell in the Santiago Campaign. The money to erect it was raised by subscription within the regiment and the tablet placed in the chapel.

(>.)

go

0

(j

(Photo loa’!ed by Jack Daly)

Light Battery B, 4th Artillery, in Action on Pawnee Flats

.n

“O

.,,

<l)

N

“6,

0

230 THE HISTORY OF FORT RILEY

Troops A and C of the Eighth Cavalry left the Post in June and the Headquarters, Band and Troop A of the Sixth Cavalry were ordered to China.

In April. Siege Battery O of the Seventh Artillery arrived

at the Post.

Lieutenant-General Miles visited the Post about the 18th· of September and witnessed a demonstration of cavalry and artillery in action.

Buffalo Bill’s Wild West Show came to Junction City early in October and the Colonel was entertained by the officers at the Club. On the same day Theodore Roosevelt passed through and made a speech from his train. •

In addition to renewing old recommendations, Colonel Rod­ ney recommended, in his annual report, that kitchens be added to the cavalry barracks and that the consolidated mess be discontinued. This mess had never been popular. Food cooked in large quantities was not as appetizing as that prepared in a smaller mess, cooks and mess sergeants were denied much needed training and troops missed the organization spirit developed in their own messes.

Construction during 1900 included a hook and ladder house ( 135) , oil and lime house ( 136) and ordnance storehouse (137).

Lieutenant-Colonel George B. Rodney was relieved as Commandant in 1901 by Colonel C. C. C. Carr, Fourth Cavalry. Later, when many of the hills on the reservation were given names, Rodney Hill was named for Colonel Rodney.

Major-General Herbert B. Crosby, the present Chief of Cavalry, was born in Kansas in 1871. graduated from the

U.S. M.A., in 1893, was made a captain February 2, 1901. and came to Fort Riley with the newly organized Fourteenth Cavalry soon after that. He became Secretary of the Club and in July, Levi Marchesseault was made Steward in place of Victor Montgomery. Levi served as steward until May 1918, when he was commissioned in the Remount Service.

The 20th Battery Field Artillery (later Battery E Sixth Field Artillery), was organized at Fort Riley, Kansas, pursuant to G. 0. No. 78, Headquarters of the Army, A. G. O., Washington, D. C., June 6; I 90 I. Sergeant Sewall, now I st Sergeant of the Cavalry School Detachment, was Stable Sergeant of this battery.

The order assigned to the Battery, Captain William J. Snow,

1st. Lieutenant H. L. Newbold and 2d Lieutenant F. W. Clark.

There being no barracks, gun-sheds or stables available at the post, the battery was placed in camp on the day of its organization, and so remained until December the 9th, when it left for Fort Robinson, Nebraska. It was there until April 16,

THE HISTORY OF FORT RILEY 231

1902, when the arrival of the Tenth Cavalry caused it to be again quarterless and it returned to Fort Riley. It was in camp at Fort Riley until January 9, 1903, when it moved into its newly completed barracks.

The First Squadron and Band of the Fourth Cavalry came to Fort Riley in August and remained until about October, 1904. The First Squadron of the Fourteenth Cavalry came to Riley early in 1901 and left in February, 1902.

The two preceding companies having failed to make good, a third Street Railway and Ice Company was organized in Junction City in 1900. August I. 190 I. the first street car ran between the town and the Post. John Miller and Thad Pickens were the first conductors and later “Granny” Wells became a motorman. The end of the line was then at the building now used as a storehouse for pyrotechnics, across the ravine and slightly south of east of Waters Hall. That was the first streetcar station. The track ran along the embankment south­ west from that point to the vicinity of the present laundry building.

The consolidated mess was abandoned in 1901 and in April, 1902, the Quartermaster had received instructions to build additions and alterations to cavalry barracks 34, 35, 36, 38, 39, and 40. These additions and alterations were for the addition of kitchens and dining rooms. In addition he was to make alterations in artillery barracks 89, 91. and 93, construct an artillery stable, two cavalry stables, two gun sheds, one bachelor officers’ quarters and two double sets of officers quarters. By February, 1902, the old mess hall had been converted into an opera house with stage, curtains and all other appurtenances.

November 18, 1901. a soldier named Buchanan became crazed with drink and ran amuck in Junction City, killing James White, the night marshal, and his assistant, R. E. L. Cooper. He was arrested later by Tom Allen and M. D. Peeso and was carefully guarded in the jail as t,here were well­ grounded fears that he might be lynched. During the night he committed suicide by hanging himself.

The following buildings were completed, or nearly completed, in 1901 : Two artillery stables (84 and 86) and two hay sheds ( 140 and 141) . The hay sheds were burned in 1908, rebuilt in 1918 and burned in 1919.

January 30, 1902, occurred the death of Sergeant Buchanan, long associated with the Post, first as Commissary Sergeant and then as Steward in the Post Exchange.

Late in February, Troops I. K, L, and M of the Eighth Cavalry were ordered to Fort Riley from Puerto Principe,

(Photo loaned by .Jack Daly)

Non-Commissioned Staff Officers at Post Headquarters

(Photo loaned by .Jack Daly)

A Military Funeral

THE HISTORY OF FORT RILEY 233

Cuba, and with them came Sergeant Okum, for the past few years in charge of the Quartermaster gas and oil station.

February 2, 1901, Congress passed a law as a result of which the army was to consist of thirty regiments of infantry, fifteen regiments of cavalry and a corps of artillery. Artillery regiments were done away with and the batteries were numbered serially.

May 9th two pack trains arrived from Cuba and shortly after two more came. They were Pack Trains Number 3, 9, 24 and 29 and were under charge of Mr. H. W. Daly, Chief Packer of the Army. They remained at Fort Riley until trouble with Mexico became imminent and troops began to gather on the border, when they were sent there. They were camped just south of Packers’ Hill, which received its name from this camp.

Publication of the Guidon was moved from the Post to the office of the Junction City Union in June, 1902.

August 12th, the Quivira Historical Society dedicated the Quivira Monument in Logan Grove. After prayer by Reverend Andrew H. Harshaw, the monument was unveiled by Miss Helen Ritter, granddaughter of Captain Robert Henderson. John K. Wright was master of ceremonies and Captain Granger Adams with the Sixth Battery of Field Artillery fired a salute. The first maneuvers of any magnitude to be held in the United States were held from September 20th to October 8th, 1902, at. Fort Riley. The troops consisted of the Sixth, Eighteenth and Twenty-second Infantry, the Fourth and Eighth Cavalry, the Sixth, Seventh, Nineteenth and Twentieth ‘Batteries of Field Artillery, the Twenty-eighth Mountain Battery, Third Field Hospital, Ambulance Company Number Three, a detachment of Signal Corps and a battalion of Engineers. The National Guard contingent consisted of two in­ fantry regiments (First and Second) and two batteries of artillery from Kansas, a Colorado and an Arkansas battalion. The camp, which was called Camp Root in honor of the Secretary of War, was where Camp Whitside is now and was in command of Major-General Bates. Colonel A. L. Wagner,

the Assistant Adjutant-General. was chief umpire.

The Sixteenth Siege Battery arrived for duty at Fort Riley in October. One artillery barracks (Building 94) was erected in 1902. A Farriers’ and Horseshoers’ School was started in January,

1903, in accordance with the provisions of the following order:

“General Orders No. 2. Cavalry and Field Artillery School. Fort Riley, Kansas, January 17, 1903. Under provisions of G. 0. 115, Series 1902, A.G. 0., a Training School for Farriers and Blacksmiths is established

234 THE HISTORY OF FORT RILEY

at this post, in connection with the School of Application for Cavalry and Field Artillery.

  1. The class under instruction will consist of all farriers and blacksmiths belonging to this post; one other suitable man selected by each organization commander (in the artillery an artificer may be selected) and such men as may be detailed for this instruction under the provisions of G. 0. 115,

A.G. O.”

The length of the course was four months, with an interval of one month between terms of the school. One hour per day was devoted to recitations, two hours to practical instruction in the veterinary hospital and one hour in the blacksmith shop. Recitations were held in the attic room of Barracks 40.

Captain Walter C. Short was in charge and had general supervision of the school.

“8. Veterinary Surgeons Alexander Plummer, Fourth Cavalry, Richard H. Power, Artillery Corps, and Chief Farrier John Kiernan, are assigned to duty as instructors in this school; the two former in theoretical and practical veterinary, and the latter in horseshoeing.

(Signed) JAMES B. ERWIN,

Capt. and Adj’t. Fourth Cavalry,

Secretary.”

In addition to the above mentioned instructors, E. M. Irwin, now a Sergeant in the office of the School Supply Officer, then with the Eighth Cavalry, was an assistant instructor during the first term, thus qualifying as the first enlisted man to be so detailed. There was no school shop. Shoes were prepared in troop blacksmith shops after which, horses, shoes and students met in the basement of Waters Hall where the actual shoeing was done. There were no forges in Waters Hall. The veterinary hospital and dispensary was in Number Three Stable and there was a shop in one of the old gun sheds.

The Cavalry Board was also established in 1903 by the following order:

“General Orders No. 45.

Headquarters of the Army, Adjutant General’s Office, Washington, March 31. 1903.

By direction of the Secretary of War, boards are established as hereinafter described, to be known as the Infantry Board and the Cavalry Board, respectively, to which may be referred, from time to time, subjects relating to the operations and equipment of the infantry and cavalry arms, respectively, upon which their opinions and recommendations may be desired.

“The field officers of cavalry and the two senior captains

THE. HISTORY OF FORT RILEY 235

of that arm stationed at the School of Application for Cavalry and Field Artillery, Fort Riley, Kansas, shall constitute the Cavalry Board.

By Command of Lieutenant General Miles.

H. C. CORBIN,

Adjutant General Major-General. U. S. Army.”

In May, 1903, two troops of the Fourth Cavalry, the Sixth and Seventh Batteries, the bands of the Fourth Cavalry and Ninth Artillery, went to St. Louis to the Exposition.

Maneuvers on a larger scale were held at Fort Riley in October, I 903. Colonel Arthur L. Wagner was again the chief umpire and the following troops participated: 2d, 6th, 12th, 21st, and 25th Infantry; 4th, 8th, and 10th Cavalry; 6th, 7th, 19th, 20th, 28th, 29th, and a mountain battery of artillery; 1st Battalion of Engineers and detachments of the Signal Corps. Hospital Corps and Ambulance Companies of the Regular Army with a regiment of infantry of the National Guard from Texas, Iowa, Missouri, Nebraska, and a origade from Kansas.

The encampment was on Pawnee Flats and was named in honor of the Assistant Secretary of War, William Cary Sanger. Examination of ·maps in use at this camp shows that the following were the only places on the reservation that were named at that time: Saddle Back and SaddleBack Road; For­syth Drive; Wolf Canyon; Milk Ranch Road; Hay Camp Springs; Morris Hill; Estes Road; Governor Harvey Road; Pump House Canyon; Rock Spring; Sherman Heights; Reservoir; Sheridan Bluffs’; Republican, Smoky Hill and Pawnee Flats and Ogden Flat, where Camp Funston was during the World War; Grant Ridge and a low place east of the Governor Harvey Road about half way between Washington Street Bridge and the mouth of the Governor Harvey Canyon, called Robinson’s Lake. Sheridan Bluffs included what is now Pawnee Point and Sheridan Point. One Mile, Three Mile and Four Mile Creeks were also named. Custer Hill was then called

Forsyth Hill.

The following buildings were erected in 1903: One artillery barracks (90), one artillery stable (88), three gun sheds (81, 83 and 147), three double cavalry barracks (144,

146, 149), four double sets of officers’ quarters (97, 99, 103 and 18) , one set of field officers’ quarters ( 4) , two sets of noncommissioned officers’ quarters ( 118 and 122), bakery (27), three stables in the Cavalry Post ( 42, 46 and 48. Number 46 was destroyed by fire September 2, 1922), and one stable guard ( 47).

In July, 1903, Colonel Carr was made a brigadier-general and left for the maneuvers on the 12th of October, returning on November 1st but left on leave of absence and was transferred

236 THE HISTORY OF FORT RILEY

before his leave was up. Colonel E. Z. Steever, Fourth Cavalry, was Commandant from October 12, 1903, to November 1. 1903, and from November 13, 1903, to April 23. 1904, when he was relieved by Brigadier-General Francis Moore.

– General Moore was ordered to assume command of the Department of California September 30, 1904, and Colonel Steever again became Commandant. Headquarters, Band and First Squadron, Fourth Cavalry left October 15, 1904, and Lieutenant-Colonel William Stanton, Eleventh Cavalry, was Acting Commandant until the arrival of Colonel Edward S. God­ Frey with Headquarters and Band of the Ninth Cavalry, October 23, 1904.

In 1902, post schools were established by the War Department and Fort Riley was not excepted from the provision of that order. Consequently, in 1902-03, students at the school did not receive the special instruction they should have. General Carr recommended, in September, 1903, that the order providing for post schools should not apply to the School at Riley. This recommendation was approved and in 1904 a one-year course was prepared.

1904 was the first year since the Spanish-American War that a systematic and adequate course of instruction was followed. Major William A.-Shunk, Eighth Cavalry, was Director of the Cavalry Sub-School and Lieutenant-Colonel S. W. Taylor of the Artillery Sub-School. Captain George H. Cameron, Fourth Cavalry, was Secretary of the School and First Lieutenant Guy

V- Henry, Fourth Cavalry, was Adjutant.

During the year, the 1st Squadron of the 4th Cavalry, the 3d Squadron of the 11th Cavalry with the 7th, 25th, 28th and 29th Batteries of Field Artillery were at the School.

All officers at the Post with less than ten years commissioned service were required to take the theoretical course which consisted of:

Cavalry Sub-School. Hippology-Major Lockett, Captain Short and Veterinarian Plummer, Instructors. Horseshoers and Farriers Course-Captain Short in charge, Veterinarians Plummer, Power, Gould and McKibbin and E. A. Dowd a Civil Service appointment. Instructors.

Equitation and Horse Training-Captain Short. Minor Tactics-Major Lockett. Drill Regulations-Captain R. J. Duff. Topography-Captain George H. Cameron. Artillery Sub-School. Hippology Veterinarian R. H. Power, Instructor. Drill Regulations-Captain W. S. McNair. Minor Tactics-Captain W. J. Snow. Topography-Captain

G. W. Gatchell.

There was also a course for noncommissioned officers and selected privates in each sub-school. The School for Trumpeters,

THE HISTORY OF FORT RILEY 237

Messengers, and Orderlies were under control of Captain E. B. Winans.

The Division and Army Competitions and the National Match were all held at Fort Riley during the summer of 1904 and interfered very seriously with the instruction.

It was recommended that all cavalry officers, upon joining the service, be sent to the School for at least one year’s training.

The course in Equitation and Horse Training deserves special mention because it was the first one1 ever given at the School. It was the result of discussion and· correspondence between Colonel Carr and General W. H. Carter. The work began with supplying the horse dismounted, using the snaffle, then bending lessons with the leg aids, the collected walk and trot, bending lessons with the curb, jumping, high jumping in which good jumpers were used over jumps from four to five feet eight inches in height, and riding bucking horses (sau­teurs).

Construction in 1904 included: two sets of field officers’ quarters (5 and 101), Carr Hall (named for Brigadier General C. C. C. Carr and built for bachelor officers’ quarters), four artillery stable guards (150, 151, 152, and 153), one artillery stable (148), four cavalry stables (50, 52, 54, and 56), three stable guards (43, 51, and 55), Farriers’ shop (1), and an ordnance storehouse (57).

In 1905 a progressive course of instruction, covering three years of duty at the School, was adopted with the approval of the Chief of Staff. In the Cavalry Sub-School the courses were organized as follows:

First year: Elementary work and horse training.

Second year: Hippology, 30 hours; Drill Regulations, 20 hours; Tactics, 15 hours; Equitation and Horse Training, 90 hours; Horseshoeing, 30 hours; Military Hygiene, 10 hours; Cavalry Pioneer Instruction, one lecture and some practical work; Topography, 15 hours. Miscellaneous, including a study of forage and packing.

Third year: Hippology (advanced), 30 hours; Tactics, 35 hours; Equitation and Horse Training (school and high school work and jumping), 40 hours; Cross-country work beginning November 20th, 4 hours per week; Horseshoeing, 30 hours; Topography, 15 hours.

Artillery Sub-School:

First year: Hippology, 30 hours; Drill Regulations, 20 hours; Tactics, 20 hours; Horseshoeing, 30 hours.

Second year: Hippology, 20 hours; Special Studies in Artillery, 20 hours; Study of Modern Campaigns, 10 hours; Topography, 15 hours; Horseshoeing, 30 hours.

(Insert Image from the book. Did not show up)

(Photo loaned by Mr. Frank Churchill)

A Class in Horseshoeing, 1905

Standing, Left to Right-Capt. E. B. Winans; 1st Lieut. G. V. Henry; 1st Lieut. T. M. Knox; 1st Lieut.

H. A. Roberts; 1st. Lieut. W. A. Austin; Capt. S. McP. Rutherford; Capt. F. T. Arnold; 2nd Lieut. A. G. Hixson; Capt. R. J. Duff, Instructor; Capt. W. C. Short, Instructor; Dr. Alexander Plummer.

Sitting-2nd Lieut. A. H. Mueller; 1st Lieut. L. W. Oliver; 2nd Lieut. 0. L. Early; 1st. Lieut. Duncan Elliot; 2nd Lieut. W. A. McCain; 2nd Lieut. Le R. D. Lewis.

The building was one of the old gunsheds erected in 1869.

THE HISTORY OF FORT RILEY 239

Third year. Special Studies in Artillery, 30 hours; Study of Modern Campaigns, 10 hours; Field Service Regulations, 15 hours; Military Hygiene, 10 hours.

There was also a school for noncommissioned officers and privates in both branches and a Trumpeters School.

A Training School for Bakers and Cooks under charge of Captain M. S. Murray, Commissary, U. S. A., was established February 15, 1905. Failing an adequate plant, practical instruction was given in organization kitchens to which students were attached. “Tobe ” Brommell, formerly of the consolidated mess, was an Instructor in the School.

In the report of Captain Short, concerning the Training School for Farriers and Horseshoers, we find that Dr. Dowd, Instructor in Horseshoeing. had as assistants Frank G. Churchill and Private Frank Wallace, Troop A, Thirteenth Cavalry. This School was housed in the barracks now occupied by the Cavalry School Detachment but the building was then known as “Carter Hall,” in honor of Major-General Wil­ liam H. Carter.

Lieutenant-Colonel James Parker relieved Colonel William Stanton as Director of the School of Cavalry, April 5, 1905.

In the Cavalry School the third year class consisted of First Lieutenants George Williams, L. W. Oliver, Duncan Elliot,

G. M. Lee and Second Lieutenants W. A. McCain, A. H. Mueller, 0. L. Early. The first and second year classes con. sisted of Captains A. M. Miller, L. Parsons, Sirmyer, W. H. McCornack; First Lieutenants W. L. Luhn, S. B. Pearson,

F. P. Amos, G. W. Winterburn, A. S. Odell, F. M. Jones, Hamilton Bowie, F. J. Herman, Rittenhouse and Westmore­ land; Second Lieutenants W. G. Meade, G. H. Baird, John Symington, C. E. Hathaway, R. R. Love, E. A. Buchanan, Talbot Smith, E. P. Laurson, S. W. Winfree, A. C. Wimberly.

In the Artillery School Colonel Taylor was Director and Majors W. H. Coffin, Granger Adams, Captain J. C. W. Brooks, G. W. Gatchell and W. J. Snow were instructors.

The Third-year Class was composed of First Lieutenants

C. Deems, Jr., C. C. Carson and Second Lieutenants S. Frankenberger, A. F. Casad, W. F. Morrison, J. P. Terrell.

W. M. Davis.

First Lieutenants E. T. Donnelly and R. S. Granger constituted the Second-year Class.

The First-year Class consisted of First Lieutenants H. R. Casey, F. B. Hennessy, Second Lieutenants Marlborough, Churchill, P. D. Glassford, R. M. Danford, J. B. Dillard and

E. L. Gruber.

240 THE HISTORY OF FORT RILEY

Construction of new riding halls, quarters for bakers and cooks and replacement of the bridge over the Kansas River in front of the present Veterinary Hospital were urgently recommended. The bridge had been washed away during the flood of 1903.

Construction in 1905 included: Band quarters for Cavalry Post (Building 6. Now the Cavalry Board Building), Subsistence storehouse (31), Guard house (49, the present guard house), Veterinary Hospital (66), a squadron blacksmith shop (67), Field, Staff -and Band Stables (68, now stables No. 8), and a Crematory (75).

The Second, Seventh, Twenty-Second and Twenty-Fifth Batteries of Artillery and the Second Squadron Second Cavalry, First Squadron Ninth Cavalry and First Squadron Thirteenth Cavalry were on duty at the School in 1906.

Colonel S. W. Taylor was relieved as Director of the School of Field Artillery May 1. 1906, by Major Eli D. Hoyle.

First Lieutenant F. M. Jones, Ninth Cavalry, and Second Lieutenant W. H. Dodds, Jr., Artillery, were in charge of the Trumpeters and Musicians School.

For the first time, twenty unbroken, well-bred horses were procured and trained by the advanced class in equitation. The experiment was a pronounced success and Colonel Godfrey recommended it be continued. .

The eight senior graduates of the U. S. M. A., assigned to the cavalry, were sent to the School for a special course from October first to April thirtieth. The course consisted of instruction in equitation, horse training, hippology and horse­ shoeing and the members of the class were the following Second Lieutenants of Cavalry: Jeb. W. Gardiner, George Dillman, C. K. Lyman, C. L. Scott, W. A. Dallam, J. H. Dickey, Ralph Talbot, Jr., and W. N. Hensley, Jr. The work of the class demonstrated the wisdom of sending specially selected officers but Colonel Godfrey was of the opinion that it would be preferable to detail officers who had some familiarity with the service and who had been through a garrison school, rather than men just from West Point.

Captain Murray was relieved from the Training School for Bakers and Cooks by Captain A. M. Edwards, Commissary. The School was reorganized and a one year course again adopted from which were eliminated most of the subjects taught in garrison schools and all theoretical work that could be taught as well at other posts. This was a return to the original purpose for which the School was established, i. e., drill and practice, the enlisted men sharing with the officers• in the instruction as far as practicable.

THE HISTORY OF FORT RILEY 241

Plans were being started for forestation of the reservation. Mr. C. A. Scott, a forester from the Bureau of Forestry, was sent out and during the fall, belts were plowed along numerous ridges and plans made for the planting of trees the next year.

A demand was also being made for the establishment of a Training School for Saddlers.

The Post Exchange was moved from Waters Hall to its present location and the post office to the building now occupied by the Book Department, during this year. Following this, Waters Hall remained vacant for about two years when it was remodeled and used as quarters for bachelor officers.

One of the famous old characters of the Post in 1906 was John Tempany, commonly called “Doc,” Veterinarian, Ninth Cavalry. At that time. Veterinarians were not commissioned and did not have the privilege of retirement. Tempany was then about seventy years old but was still on active service and hoping for retirement, which he finally obtained several years later.

Colonel Godfrey’s recommendations included:

  1. An extra allowance of ammunition for the artillery and of ball cartridges for the cavalry at the School.
  2. A riding hall for the Artillery School.
  3. A stable for the School of Equitation and Horse Train- ing.
  4. A detachment of men to care for School horses-.
  5. An increase in the allotment of School funds.
  6. Barracks for Training School for Bakers and Cooks.
  7. The detail of enlisted men from their organizations for instruction as Bakers and Cooks instead of recruits from depots.
  8. Details of enlisted men to Farriers and Horseshoers School to be based upon annual reports from organization • commanders as to the needs of their organizations and no recruits to be detailed.
  9. Continuation of forestry work.
  10. Establishment of a Training School for Saddlers.

Captain Wm. J. Snow of the Artillery was Secretary of the School in 1906.

Maneuvers were held at Fort Riley during the months of August and September, 1906. The camp was called “Camp of Instruction” and was really that, rather than a maneuver camp. General Wint was in command and although all the troops enumerated were not present at the camp for the entire two months, they were there for a part of the time.

242 THE HISTORY OF FORT RILEY

Co. A Signal Corps, 3d Bn. Engrs.. 2d Sq. 2d Cav., 1st and 2d Sqs. 9th Cav.. 11th Cav., 1st Sq. 13th Cav., Prov.

F. A. Regt., (4th Bn., 2d. 22d, 25th Btrys, 7th Bn., 10th, 30th, 29th Btrys, 5th Bn.. 7th, 20th Btrys. 9th Bn. Siege. 11th, 16th Btrys) 18th Inf. 30th Inf.

Nebraska furnished an Amb. Co., Sig. Co.. F. A. Btrys., 2 regts. and 1 Co. of Inf.

Arkansas 1 regt. Inf.

Kansas 1 Btry. F. A. and 2 regts. Inf. South Dakota 1 regt. Inf.

Missouri 3 regts. Inf. Iowa 1 regt. Inf.

Oklahoma 1 regt. Inf. and detachments of Engrs.. Sig. and Hosp. Corps.

Views: 0