Fortifications of Richmond and Meadow Bridge, May 12, 1864
On May 12, 1864, Union troops made significant gains in their attempt to capture the Confederate capital of Richmond during the American Civil War. The Union army, commanded by General Ulysses S. Grant, had been engaged in a brutal campaign against Confederate forces in Virginia, known as the Overland Campaign, for several weeks.
During this campaign, both sides engaged in a series of bloody battles that left thousands dead and wounded. Despite heavy losses, the Union army continued to push towards Richmond, hoping to deal a decisive blow to the Confederacy.
On May 12th, Union troops began constructing fortifications near Meadow Bridge, a strategic point along the Chickahominy River. The fortifications were designed to protect the Union army’s left flank and prevent Confederate reinforcements from reaching the area.
At the same time, Union troops also began fortifying their position outside of Richmond, constructing a series of trenches and earthworks. These fortifications would become known as the “Fortifications of Richmond,” and would play a crucial role in the Union army’s eventual capture of the city.
Despite facing fierce resistance from Confederate forces, Union troops were able to hold their ground at both Meadow Bridge and the Fortifications of Richmond. These fortifications would prove to be a major factor in the Union army’s eventual victory, allowing them to secure their positions and launch successful attacks against Confederate forces.
In conclusion, the Union troops’ fortifications of Richmond and Meadow Bridge on May 12, 1864, were a critical moment in the American Civil War. These fortifications allowed the Union army to secure their positions and launch successful attacks against Confederate forces, ultimately contributing to their eventual victory.
OPPOSING FORCES IN GRANT ‘S CAMPAIGN AGAINST RICHMOND.
First Brigade, Brig. Gen. George A. Custer:
- 1st Mich., Lieut.-Col. Peter Stagg;
- 5th Mich., Col. Russell A. Alger;
- 6th Mich., Maj. James H. Kidd;
- 7th Mich., Maj. Henry W. Granger.
Second Brigade, Col. Thomas C. Devin:
- 4th N. Y. (guarding trains), Lieut. Col. William R. Parnell;
- 6th N. Y., Lieut.-Col. William H. Crocker;
- 9th N. Y., Col. William Sackett;
- 17th Pa., Lieut.-Col. James Q. Anderson.
Reserve Brigade, Brig.-Gen. Wesley Merritt:
- 19th N. Y. (1st Dragoons), Col. Alfred Gibbs;
- 6th Pa., Maj. James Starr;
- 1st U. S., Capt. Nelson B. Sweitzer;
- 2d U. S., Capt. T. F. Rodenbough;
- 5th U. S., Capt. Abraham K. Arnold.