Capt. Rowley Phedello Taylor

Rowley Phedello Taylor: Taylor enrolled in the 130th New York Sate Volunteers in, August of 1862 at the age of 40. Taylor mustered in as captain, Co. C, on September. 3, 1862. He was killed in action on January 30th of 1863, at Deserted House, Va. Taylor received his full commission as captain on November 1st, 1862, with rank starting from August 14, of 1862.

Taylor was born on the 26th of May 1822 in Busti, Chautauqua County, New York. After his death steaming from action at the battle of Deserted House Virginia, on the 30th of January of 1863 (aged 40 years, eight months and 4 days) his body was moved to Attica New York and buried in Forest Hill Cemetery in Wyoming County.

As Hometown Heroes banners are hung along Market and Main Streets in the village of Attica this page will recall the brotherhood of the veterans of Attica for the next few days.

The nation was at war. In the beginning its citizens believed it would last but a few short months. But the “Great Rebellion” would eventually be recorded into the annals of history as the most tragic and bloodiest conflict ever to be fought upon American soil. It lasted not just a few short months but almost a half a decade. On July 29, 1862 the Wyoming County Military Committee met in Warsaw to set the quotas that each town was to raise to form a new regiment to fight in the Civil War. The town of Attica had 509 eligible men. Twenty-four were needed to meet Attica’s quota but many more would enlist.

Rowley P. Taylor, an Attica merchant was appointed to recruit the number. During August 1862 the quota was met and Rowley P. Rowley was commissioned Captain of Co C. of the 130th New York Voluntary Infantry. This regiment eventually became known as the First New York Dragoons. Rowley P. Taylor was born May 26, 1822 in Busti, Chautauqua County, New York. At the age of 17 years he moved to Attica where he was engaged in the mercantile and banking business at the time of his appointment and enlistment. On June 12, 1851 he had been married in Attica to Miss Harriet Baker.

Capt. Taylor’s company would participate in 54 battles during the war. On the night of January 30-31, 1963 the company was called into action at Deserted House, VA. Before leaving camp that night, Capt. Taylor seemed to have a premonition of his death. He handed all his personal effects to the camp guard with instructions they were to be sent home to his wife if he did not return.

Usually cheerful and inspiring to his men as they marched to battle he was quiet and preoccupied. When the column reached their destination the men began to joke. The Captain spoke” Boys you had better be still, some of us will be in heaven or hell before morning.” Within five minutes rebel shells filled the air and the men were ordered flat to the ground.

Then all became quiet. In the quietness that prevailed for nearly two house, the Major walked the line. Capt. Taylor asked his Major if he wished a chew of tobacco. The Major declined and continued on his way. Capt. Taylor rose up on his elbow to retrieve his chew from his pocket when a rebel shell struck his chest. His effects would be sent home to the village. Captain Rowley P. Taylor rests in Forest Hill Cemetery. His tombstone giving his place of death – Deserted House, Virginia.

On August 20, 1881, the Rowley P. Taylor Grand Army of the Republic Post 219 was organized in the village of Attica with 140 charter members. Its purpose was to honor and perpetuate the memory of those who gave their lives for the Union; to care for and give relief to the widows and orphans; to keep alive and foster the spirits of brotherhood among the survivors of the “Great Rebellion” Its name was unanimously selected in honor and memory of the Captain of Co C of the First New York Dragoon.

On January 27, 1931, the post disbanded and on the orders of its last Commander, Elon P. Spink. The records were sent to Albany. Today these records can be viewed on

RESEARCHER’S NOTE: These text are taken from the Regimental History of the First New York Dragoons and historical text written by Anita Ripstein-Hayes. I retrieved this information on Agust 23rd 2016 from

Please search for Comrade Petibone of Co. C. Petibone furnishes a great reflection on the incident of Taylor’s Death. In one of Levi’s letters, he references the death of Taylor; however, he mistakenly refers to him as Tullen. It could be an error in the translation or a mistake by the person writing Levi’s letters. Levi could neither read nor write.

This photo is believed to be taken circa 1881, and captures the men of the Rowley P. Taylor Grand Army of the Republic Post 219 organized in the village of Attica with 140 charter members. If you have more information on this photo please contact me.


2022-49 Proclamation for Attica Historical Society Museum Motion was made by Trustee Guralny seconded by Trustee Walker that the Village board approves the following proclamation.


Throughout the history of the Town and Village of Attica, Wyoming County, New York many men have served their Country for the fight of Freedom. The Attica Historical Society Museum contains numerous and priceless artifacts of those men who marched off to war; and.


One such artifact, that survived not only the battlefields but also the Attica’s Great Fire of 1907, is among the collection of memories of war. It is a survivor of the greatest battles ever fought upon American soil — the Civil War. The artifact is the battle flag of Company C of the 130th New York Infantry. This military unit was later converted to a cavalry unit, the only such occurrence in the history of the United States. It became known as the 1st New York Dragoons; and


On August 30, 1862 at the Portage Training Grounds, now located in Letchworth State Park, the flag was presented to Captain Rowley P. Taylor on behalf of the women of Attica by Miss Juvenilia Tinker, an Attica girl of 16 years who would become a noted national concert singer. The flag survived Captain Taylor who was killed in the Battle of Deserted House. It was returned to Attica by Medal of Honor winner and fellow Dragoon, Andrew J. Lorish, following the war. In August 1881, it was presented to the newly formed Rowley P. Taylor GAR Post #219, where it was displayed in their post rooms until June 1907, when the building was destroyed by the Great Fire of 1907. Again, the flag survived. In 1959, it was presented to the Attica Historical Society to be preserved for the people of Attica by the Rowley P. Taylor Women’s Relief Corp;


Folded and housed in a frame, age had not been kind to the old battle flag. The Board of Trustees of the society had it appraised for preservation and conservation. Due to its rare survival and historical significance, not just to the people of Attica, but to the history of our nation, the Board decided the flag should be preserved. After consulting numerous conservators across the nation, Gwen Spicer of the Spicer Art Conservatory was chosen by the Board of Trustees for the project; and


I, Nathan Montford, Mayor of the Village of Attica do hereby present this
proclamation to the Attica Historical Society for the battle flag of Company C of the 130th New York Infantry on Memorial Day, May 30, 2022. On the call of the roll, the vote was as follows: Durfee yes; Walker yes; Sage yes; Guralny yes. The motion was declared and carried 2022-50 Agreement with LaBella for grant applications


Email Text to the Village of ATTICA

Dear Village of Attica

My Name is Garland H. Green, Jr., a researcher for Alfred Gibbs and the 130th New York State Volunteers, later the First New York Dragoons. I recently came across the Village of Attica’s 2022-49 Proclamation for the Attica Historical Society Museum, and I am currently researching Rowley Phedello Taylor. I want to contact a member of your community who could help me learn more about Captain Taylor and the Rowley P. Taylor Grand Army of the Republic Post 219 if possible.

I am a descendant of Levi D. Green and Marvin W. Green, both of Co. E. of the 1st New York Dragoons. In one of the letters written home by Levi D. Green, he references the death of Captain Taylor. I want to expand the story of the honorable Captain Taylor, but I lost track of the captain when I recently found your proclamation online.

If you or a Village member could help me connect to the archivist who is taking care of the post’s flag or would have more information on Captain Taylor, I would appreciate the help.

Thank you in advance for your help, and I look forward to hearing from you.

With the utmost respect

Garland H. Green, Jr.

Here is a direct link to my research on Captain Taylor:

Views: 5