CAPTAIN SAMUEL CULBERTSON, a well-to-do farmer residing in Groveland, Livingston County, N. Y., and a veteran of the Civil War, was born August 30, 1837. His father, Samuel Craig Culbertson, was also a native of Groveland and was born in 1799. His grandfather, Andrew Culbertson, was a native of Pennsylvania, and his grcat grandfather, fought in the Revolutionary War and was killed by Indians in 1777. (For a complete family history, see “The Genealogy of the Culbertson Family,” published by Dr. Lewis Culbertson of Janesville, Ohio.)
Andrew Culbertson was one of the first settlers in Groveland, COJling here when it was a part of Ontario County and an almost un broken wilderness. He cleared and improved a farm, which he resided until his decease. His wife, whose maiden name was Elizabeth Craig, was also a native of Pennsylvania. Their son, Samuel Craig Culbertson, was reared to agricultural pursuits and followed that occupation through life.
He died in 1857. His wife’s maiden name was Nancy Johnson, and she is still living at the age of eighty-nine years. She reared nine children: John, Frank, Margaret; Samuel, the subject of this sketch; Eliza beth; Michael; Nancy; Matilda; and Edward. Samuel Culbertson obtained his primary education in the district schools. He entered the State regular school at Albany for an advanced course, but unfortunately, he was obliged to relinquish his studies before graduating on account of ill health. He was farming until September 1862, when he enlisted in Company B, One Hundred and Thirtieth Regiment, New York Volunteer Infantry. He served in that regiment for one year and was then transferred to the First New York Dragoons, with which he served until August 1864, when he was compelled to resign from physical disability. He was mustered into the service as a Second Lieu tenant, but for gallant and meritorious conduct was promoted to First Lieutenant and then to Captain.
His regiment was constantly engaged iii· active service and Captain Culbertson was a participant in the following battles: Franklin, Manassas Plains, Culpeper, Charlotteville, Todd’s Tavern, Squirrel Bridge, Beaver Dam, Yellow Tavern, Meadow Bridge, Mechanicsville, Hawes Shop, Old Church, and the two days’ fight at Cold Harbor.
After he retired from the army Captain Culbertson, as soon as able, resumed farming and, in 1865, settled upon the farm he now owns and occupies. It is well improved, comprising one hundred and ninety-eight acres, and is one of the most beautifully situated and sightly estates in the Genesee Valley.
In 1866 Captain·Samuel Culbertson married Sarah R. H. Johnston, a native of Cincinnati, Ohio, and daughter of James M. Johnston